Goodwill is preparing to launch a Regional Center for Building and Construction Trades that will provide training for professional certifications for individuals in Greater Richmond. As a workforce development leader, we’ll help more people gain solid career paths in the high-demand skilled trades.
With the unemployment rate in the greater Richmond Metropolitan Statistical Area at or below 3 percent, it is becoming increasingly critical to have a system in place that matches unemployed or underemployed job seekers with the varied job openings that exist in order to meet employer demand. The constructions trade industry anticipates a need for more than 15,000 trained and certified employees in the next 10 years.
- 75,000 jobs are currently open and unfilled across the state.
- 51,000 of those are in our region
- 9,300 distinct employers are in need of workers
- Among openings, there are 769 different occupations relatedto 566 unique certifications.
- Underemployed individuals need credentials to enter high-demand trades.
A state-of-the-art training facility delivering industry relevant credentials and wrap-around supports. Watch the short video below to learn more.
- Goodwill owns a building on our south Richmond campus in need of renovations.
- Secured $125,000 in grant funding from Robins Foundation to support the first 100 students.
- Instructional equipment for hands-on training and credentialing has been secured.
- Project planning, renovation design and building permitting is complete.
How You Can Help
Our final challenge, and where we need your help, is in philanthropic support to complete renovations for this adaptable training center and begin solving the labor crisis in 2020. Will you join us in this effort?Support the Center Now
For more information, contact Ashleigh Moody, director of resource development, at email@example.com or 804.278.7520.