Goodwill’s career credentialing training program leverages workforce development by collaborating with training providers to provide wrap around support and job readiness training to job seekers with barriers to employment while they participate in high quality, effective workforce credential training programs that provide pathways to sustainable employment in the regions we serve.
Technical Skills Training
Goodwill’s technical skills training programs are offered in conjunction with Thomas Nelson Community College in Hampton Roads.
Thomas Nelson’s Center for Building and Construction Trades is housed at Goodwill’s Hampton Support Center. Students receive classroom and hands-on skills training in 10- to 12-week courses, and Goodwill provides job readiness training and support. All programs provide national credentials required for their respective fields:
- Facilities Maintenance
In addition to industry certifications, program students receive:
- Career Advisor Sessions
- Students meet with their Career Advisor to complete assessments, create an individualized service plan, build job readiness skills and access to Goodwill’s Job Development services.
- Individualized Service Plans
- Each student who engages with Goodwill receives an ongoing plan that creates objectives and target dates to pursue their career goals.
- Skills building opportunities through job readiness workshops
- Job seekers have access to digital literacy, financial literacy, soft skills development and other job readiness workshops
- Job development opportunities
- Job seekers will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with a job developer who will work with the job seeker to connect them to employment opportunities and connect the job seekers to hiring events and job fair opportunities.
- Success Coaches
- Success coaches meet with job seekers to address barriers that may prevent them from being or remaining engaged in the program and/or employed. Success coaches aid in job retention and serve as an intermediary with employers to ensure participants long-term success in employment placement.